\nIn 2014 more than 100,000 pets were poisoned ingesting a variety of items. One of the most preventable sources of pet poisoning is the food we give our pets(or leave within reach). Like humans, dogs don’t always eat what’s good for them, but unlike humans, they may not recognize what is truly dangerous. What is completely safe for you may be fatal in a few hours for your pet. Keep your dog safe by keeping these items out of their diet and out of their reach. Listed below are the top 10 foods to keep from your dog. There are other foods which can make your dog sick, but these are the biggest risks to your dog’s health.\nThe Top 10\n\n\nXylitol – is an artificial sweetener found in many items including sugar-free gum and low sugar items. It releases insulin which causes a potentially fatal low blood sugar in dogs. Even small amounts can cause severe damage or death. If your dog ingests even a small amount it requires urgent veterinary attention.\n\nChocolate – contains a chemical – theobromine that is dangerous to dogs with symptoms appearing within a few to 24 hours. \n\nRaisins and grapes – Some dogs are particularly sensitive to these items and for them even a few raisins can be a serious health risk.\n\nYeast dough – May expand in your dog’s intestinal tract and cause a blockage.\n\nMacadamia nuts – cause major illness for your dog. If you find that your dog has consumed any contact your vet right away.\n\nCaffeine – Dogs are hypersensitive to the effects of caffeine and while a slurp of coffee may not be an issue a significant amount of beans, or caffeine beverage are poisonous to your dog\n\nOnions – Dogs’ systems are sensitive to onions or garlic and foods with significant amounts of either. There is the danger of damage to red blood cells along with intestinal issues. Be careful with Chinese food, onion or garlic pizza.\n\nAlcohol – Maybe humans can hold their liquor, but dogs can’t, and even small amounts are much more toxic to dogs than to humans. Small amounts can cause diarrhea, coordination issues, tremors, and difficulty breathing while just a bit more can be fatal. \n\nBones- can splinter and cause internal tears, or be swallowed in pieces and cause a blockage. Large uncooked bones gnawed on under watchful supervision are apt to be safest.\n\nBlue Cheese – dogs’ systems don’t do well with dairy products in general, but blue cheese (and Roquefort) are dangerous to a different degree. They contain a substance to which dogs are particularly sensitive. Eating these may result in tremors, seizures and high temperature. If your dog has eaten any of these cheeses you should consult emergency veterinary services.\n\nIf your dog is vomiting, has diarrhea, twitches, lethargy, or any symptom something is wrong, and you have any reason to suspect they have had access to any of these items, call ASPCA Poison Control at 888-426-4435 immediately or take them to your emergency veterinary care center. Fast action can save your pet’s life. Many dogs find forbidden foods during walks. If your dog is a scavenger, a pet stroller might keep them from the dangers of bad food or environmental dangers.